Tributes & Video Biographies
Sharing Life Stories, Connecting Generations, Preserving Legacies

Our Top Six Online Memorial Websites

It’s human nature to want to memorialize someone who has recently died. We want people to know who they were by allowing friends and family to come together and provide thoughts, insights and memories of the departed. Online, this is big business. This is because it can be shared all over the world and provides a platform that everyone can access, at any time.Here is my list of some of the top online memorial websites and obituary tribute websites. They are not ranked in any order of popularity or quality.

Forever Missed.com
“What are online memorial websites for loved ones?
 ForeverMissed.com memorial websites allow families and friends to celebrate the life of a lost loved one by writing life biography, sharing stories, leaving tributes, compiling photo, audio and video albums in their memory. Memorial sites are truly collaborative. Everyone can share in treasured memories wherever they are in the world. Once the memorial site for your loved one is setup – invite their dear friends and family to share fondest memories together.”

Their basic service is free, and setup takes only a few minutes. There are no ads, ForeverMissed is funded solely by donations and optional upgrade memberships.

Basic service provides:
• Personalized online obituary URL for your family memorial
• Choose among dozens of attractive themes
• Pay tribute to your loved ones by telling their stories
• Visitors can light candles and leave condolences
• Add music to play in the background
• Invite friends and family to build a memorial together
• Build a photo album
• Allow visitors to contact you, or stay private

Legacy.com  There are two areas to legacy.com.

Memorial Sites:
“Honoring and celebrating the lives of individuals who shared a common bond, Memorial Sites feature obituaries and Guest Books from the Legacy.com network of newspaper and funeral home affiliates.” These are shared memorials. Some of the links include memorials for the 9/11 Victims, all branches of the military, famous people. There are guestbooks to sign.

Create a Living Legacy
“Remember a loved one and inspire others to do the same with an online memorial. Create a lasting tribute that celebrates your loved one’s life, helping you share messages of support and remembrance while connecting friends and family.” “With a Legacy.com Memorial Website you will celebrate and honor the legacy of your loved one’s life and inspire family and friends to do the same. Share messages of support and remembrance while connecting with each other. Through shared personal tales and reflections, this lasting online memorial continues the life story of your loved one.”
(Free 14 day trial, has a limited time offer of 25% off a year’s membership. Shows discounted price for the year to be $36.75.

Tributes.com Offers lasting tributes for the departed, human as well as pets.
For humans, the user searches “over 90 million obituaries and death notices” to find the deceased, then build a tribute for them.  Receive unlimited obit text to document your loved one’s life story, family connections and priceless moments. There is a charge to upload a photograph. There are no comment or interaction options. You can setup anniversary email reminders.

For pets, $25 gets an “Eternal Tribute” that offers unlimited photos and an integrated video and slide show with background music. A simple one photo tribute is $10.

Online Memorials
Includes memorials for humans and for pets (free for pet memorials).
“Here you can create free online memorials to reminisce, remember and pay tribute to those special persons who have enriched your life, family and friends. Imorial is a place for families to come together and a stark reminder to not waste a single day, a reminder that every day together is precious, and beautiful. We hope our website and system will help assuage your grief and bring a positive perspective to your memories and appreciation of everything around you.”
“We have many members now and many Imorials. Young and old alike, all races, and all places around the world. Whether we like it or not we all have a tenuous grip on life and occasionally we need to be reminded of how much we have to live for. That is the purpose of Imorial.”
Free memorial pages have advertisement. Upgrade to premium membership – gracefully known as “Sponsored” to have those ads removed. Both offer a very nice number of features. Both the free and Sponsored accounts allow for comments posting, leaving memories, even translation is included.

Remembered.com
“Remembered.com is a social network where you create and maintain a place to share memories of your loved ones. The memorial websites builds a community of family and friends that keeps your cherished memories alive. We offer many features designed to reflect your loved one’s life and personality while keeping control of privacy, religion, and security.”

Connect and share through email or Facebook.
Free 30 day trial but no free memorials offered:

Commemorative Memorial is $9.95
Legacy Memorial is $19.95

Both types offer sharing, allowing friends and visitors to leave comments and memories.

iLasting.com
“Create a simple memorial website for a loved one who has passed away.”
Use iLasting to:
• Build a simple memorial website
• Invite family & friends to view the memorial
• Share photos and videos
• Preserve stories that otherwise might be lost
Nicely put at the end of the founder’s statement:
“This site is not about death; it’s about celebrating life. We’ve focused our efforts on creating a site which allows you to go beyond a standard obituary or simple death notice. We’ve made it easy-to-use and complete with meaningful features for you to create a memorial website you and your family and friends will cherish for many years to come.
They offer a free basic plan, plus two paid plans:

Premium Plan – a one time payment of $99/permanent
Plus Plan – $49/year – 1-year plan

Other online memorial sites include:

Virtual Memorials
Last Memories.com
Valley of Life
Wonderful Life

Facebook offers the ability to memorialize someone by ‘freezing’ their account. Once frozen, the account cannot be unfrozen. Only confirmed friends can see their profile or leave posts on their page. Because of the inability to find someone without already being a friend of theirs, I don’t recommend Facebook for memorials.

Stefani Twyford is a personal historian and video biographer sharing life stories, connecting generations and preserving legacies. To learn more, visit her web site, find her on Twitter as @stefanitwyford, visit the Legacy Multimedia Facebook Fan Page, or send her an e-mail.

Sign up to receive our bi-monthly Legacy Multimedia Email Newsletter

15 Responses to Our Top Six Online Memorial Websites

1. Edna Barber says:

Thanks for all the information. Very helpful.

2. Emily says:

It’s not a memorial site, it’s a pre-memorial site, but I have been really loving CaringBridge.org. It’s perfect for when a loved one is ill – you can post updates on their condition, invite whomever you like, control permissions, and they can share memories, pictures, thoughts, prayers, etc. Really awesome, and totally free. Though you’ll like it so much you’ll want to donate!

3. Stefani Twyford says:

Sorry to hear that Terri and thanks for letting us know. Have you been in touch with the owners?

4. Jack Holly says:

I have recently used this service and it was a wonderful assistance to us at a difficult time.

It is an obituary in its first instance that sent us a funeral notice and invitations to forward to all of our family and friends. We sent it to everyone and it saved all the pain of making phone calls.

Others then found out all of the ceremonial details and were able to advise they were coming. It then sent us regular guest attendance lists telling us who was expected and the funeral and wake.

It literally did all the hard work for us and now we can see how many people around the world have seen it via a clever map showing all visitors.

Thought I would leave this comment as it really did save us distressing phone calls to everyone, saved up buying invites and postage, told us who was coming to the life celebrations and now its there for us interact with anytime. They have free versions but we paid extra (less than the newspaper) for the better version and there is no on going costs as with others we saw.

Very much recommended to anyone at a time of loss.

Hope this helps

Jack Holly

5. Stefani Twyford says:

Dave, I’m so sorry you had this experience. I’m not too familiar with the hard-book options of websites such as this but I am happy to recommend several people that would create a hard-copy book for you outside of an online social network. Just let me know.

6. SBA says:

Hi Carol, I replied a few days ago but didn’t see it in comments (may be the html tags I added), so one last try to let you know:
    “So sad you lost the site even temporarily, but I hope you found it again as I did at http://david-gregory.memory-of.com/

You should move everything to another memorial site and backup content. I only happened to see your plight as I’m thinking of creating one for my Aunt who passed.”

7. tina says:

Parting wishes for the past 8 years

8. Jason Shiffman says:

I run a memorial website that I built after the death of my younger brother. It transforms your memorial picture into an interactive mural, lets you build a playlist and upload pictures for a slider. There is also a memorial candle lighting page. Everything can be shared on Facebook as well

9. Jack Aldaz says:

Hi Sandy,

Sorry to hear about your problem with Legacy.com. I would recommend you try http://www.mywonderfulmemories.com. You can create an online memorial page for your brother and invite other friends and family to share stories and pictures they may have.

I just started creating one for my great grandfather (I started yesterday so I don’t have any stories entered yet, but I was able to get pictures from other family members that I had never seen before). If you want to see what it looks like, the link to it is:

A memorial page for one person is $50 or $25 per year. Unlimited memorial pages go for $100 or $50 per year.

I hope this helps!

Jack

10. Chris Nangle says:

Chris Nangle handcrafts beautiful Memorial Benches using traditional techniques and only the finest locally sourced sustainable wood.

11. Greg says:

I used OBITUARe.com to post a memorial page for my grandfather and found it to be the best looking and the lowest price, considering the features. It’s very easy to use and comes with great customer service. Five stars in my book! I suggest checking it out.

-Greg

12. Ivan says:

Remembered.com lets you easily create free online memorials which you can commemorate for 19.95. It allows you to easily upload photos albums as well as upload videos.

13. Hi there,

I would also like to suggest Friends At Rest which is a tribute website I primarily set up to honor my Grandad and also members of our armed forces. However, it has since become very popular with others wishing to use the service.

I sincerely hope sites like these bring comfort to people in their time of grief. I know that Friends At Rest has helped a lot of people cope with bereavement and I’m sure the other sites featured here are a great comfort too.

🙂

14. Debbie Banegas says:

My dad had 2 severe strokes and never recovered. He is in a nursing home and it has been 3.5 years. He was a coach and in thud public eye and I don’t want him to be forgot ton. I want to preserve all the positive things he did for others. My and my families heart has been broken and we are in a place where we cannot go back or move forward. I thought some kind of living tribute, memorial ideas would help. Any help would be appreciated

15. Andrew B says:

Hi,
    I am looking to create a memorial site for someone who passed away 30 years ago at an early age. Due to the sheer number of people on Facebook, I was considering that site, especially due to there being a high number of their (real) friends who are FB users, allowing to link/connect easily.
    Also, the ‘timeline’ function allows me to upload and catalog a lot of the pictures and other things that I have, to provide a form of sequence/archive.
    Can you offer any thoughts which I should consider, possibly to dissuade me? In all honesty, it is more the archiving and timeline features which appeal to me. I don’t think that I am interested in tributes.