Tributes & Video Biographies
Sharing Life Stories, Connecting Generations, Preserving Legacies

Our Top Six Online Memorial Websites

It’s human nature to want to memorialize someone who has recently died. We want people to know who they were by allowing friends and family to come together and provide thoughts, insights and memories of the departed. Online, this is big business. This is because it can be shared all over the world and provides a platform that everyone can access, at any time.Here is my list of some of the top online memorial websites and obituary tribute websites. They are not ranked in any order of popularity or quality.

Forever Missed.com
“What are online memorial websites for loved ones?
 ForeverMissed.com memorial websites allow families and friends to celebrate the life of a lost loved one by writing life biography, sharing stories, leaving tributes, compiling photo, audio and video albums in their memory. Memorial sites are truly collaborative. Everyone can share in treasured memories wherever they are in the world. Once the memorial site for your loved one is setup – invite their dear friends and family to share fondest memories together.”

Their basic service is free, and setup takes only a few minutes. There are no ads, ForeverMissed is funded solely by donations and optional upgrade memberships.

Basic service provides:
• Personalized online obituary URL for your family memorial
• Choose among dozens of attractive themes
• Pay tribute to your loved ones by telling their stories
• Visitors can light candles and leave condolences
• Add music to play in the background
• Invite friends and family to build a memorial together
• Build a photo album
• Allow visitors to contact you, or stay private

Legacy.com  There are two areas to legacy.com.

Memorial Sites:
“Honoring and celebrating the lives of individuals who shared a common bond, Memorial Sites feature obituaries and Guest Books from the Legacy.com network of newspaper and funeral home affiliates.” These are shared memorials. Some of the links include memorials for the 9/11 Victims, all branches of the military, famous people. There are guestbooks to sign.

Create a Living Legacy
“Remember a loved one and inspire others to do the same with an online memorial. Create a lasting tribute that celebrates your loved one’s life, helping you share messages of support and remembrance while connecting friends and family.” “With a Legacy.com Memorial Website you will celebrate and honor the legacy of your loved one’s life and inspire family and friends to do the same. Share messages of support and remembrance while connecting with each other. Through shared personal tales and reflections, this lasting online memorial continues the life story of your loved one.”
(Free 14 day trial, has a limited time offer of 25% off a year’s membership. Shows discounted price for the year to be $36.75.

Tributes.com Offers lasting tributes for the departed, human as well as pets.
For humans, the user searches “over 90 million obituaries and death notices” to find the deceased, then build a tribute for them.  Receive unlimited obit text to document your loved one’s life story, family connections and priceless moments. There is a charge to upload a photograph. There are no comment or interaction options. You can setup anniversary email reminders.

For pets, $25 gets an “Eternal Tribute” that offers unlimited photos and an integrated video and slide show with background music. A simple one photo tribute is $10.

Online Memorials
Includes memorials for humans and for pets (free for pet memorials).
“Here you can create free online memorials to reminisce, remember and pay tribute to those special persons who have enriched your life, family and friends. Imorial is a place for families to come together and a stark reminder to not waste a single day, a reminder that every day together is precious, and beautiful. We hope our website and system will help assuage your grief and bring a positive perspective to your memories and appreciation of everything around you.”
“We have many members now and many Imorials. Young and old alike, all races, and all places around the world. Whether we like it or not we all have a tenuous grip on life and occasionally we need to be reminded of how much we have to live for. That is the purpose of Imorial.”
Free memorial pages have advertisement. Upgrade to premium membership – gracefully known as “Sponsored” to have those ads removed. Both offer a very nice number of features. Both the free and Sponsored accounts allow for comments posting, leaving memories, even translation is included.

Remembered.com
“Remembered.com is a social network where you create and maintain a place to share memories of your loved ones. The memorial websites builds a community of family and friends that keeps your cherished memories alive. We offer many features designed to reflect your loved one’s life and personality while keeping control of privacy, religion, and security.”

Connect and share through email or Facebook.
Free 30 day trial but no free memorials offered:

Commemrative Memorial is $9.95
Legacy Memorial is $19.95

Both types offer sharing, allowing friends and visitors to leave comments and memories.

iLasting.com
“Create a simple memorial website for a loved one who has passed away.”
Use iLasting to:
• Build a simple memorial website
• Invite family & friends to view the memorial
• Share photos and videos
• Preserve stories that otherwise might be lost
Nicely put at the end of the founder’s statement:
“This site is not about death; it’s about celebrating life. We’ve focused our efforts on creating a site which allows you to go beyond a standard obituary or simple death notice. We’ve made it easy-to-use and complete with meaningful features for you to create a memorial website you and your family and friends will cherish for many years to come.
They offer a free basic plan, plus two paid plans:

Premium Plan – a one time payment of $99/permanent
Plus Plan – $49/year – 1-year plan

Other online memorial sites include:

Virtual Memorials
Last Memories.com
Valley of Life

Facebook offers the ability to memorialize someone by ‘freezing’ their account. Once frozen, the account cannot be unfrozen. Only confirmed friends can see their profile or leave posts on their page. Because of the inability to find someone without already being a friend of theirs, I don’t recommend Facebook for memorials.

Stefani Twyford is a personal historian and video biographer sharing life stories, connecting generations and preserving legacies. To learn more, visit her web site, find her on Twitter as @stefanitwyford, visit the Legacy Multimedia Facebook Fan Page, or send her an e-mail.

Sign up to receive our bi-monthly Legacy Multimedia Email Newsletter

38 Responses to Our Top Six Online Memorial Websites

1. Also check out Canadian http://www.memorialmatters.com
    (disclaimer: I am the owner of this site!)

2. Mary Harrison says:
  3. Dave says:

I run a memorial website which I created after the loss of my first baby daughter, Memories For Eternity gives everyone the opportunity to create a beautiful online memorial website with very little knowledge in webdesign. Its a very simple process sign up for a free user account, and for a free memorial site at the same time if you wish, and your site will be created in a matter of seconds. All that’s left to do then is add text, photos, video, light a virtual candle for your loved one which will burn for eternity or mark an anniversary or birthday with a butterfly release the possibilities are endless.

Memories For Eternity also doubles as a social network dedicated to people who have lost a loved one where you can find support from friends, family and other members, join groups or maybe just a shoulder to cry on when your feeling low.

4. Edna Barber says:

Thanks for all the information. Very helpful.

• David Lepelstat says:

I also have a tribute to my uncle on memory-of.com and they have the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! Actually they don’t reply to any email, at any time no matter what the issue is. They were down on 9/11 and have been down since last week. Luckily after they came back up after 9/11, I made a copy of all the tributes and photos, and would highly recommend everyone else do the same.

Before picking a site, see if you can get them on the phone or respond to emails. We all need our memorials to be available for many years. These clowns couldn’t even keep their act together for more than two months without a major outage. I’ve even tried to contact their employees via linkedin and not one responded. They should be ashamed of themselves. One more thing, I just had the credit card company reverse the monthly charge, maybe that will get their attention. Good luck to all.

5. Melinda Currence says:

Do you know anything about Memory-of.com? I have had my baby boy’s memorial site on their for 4 years now and it hasn’t been accessible this week. Says some server message when you try to access the site. I am nervous because it has been this long. Could they have shut it down and my memorial to my son that has collected candles for years is all gone?

Melinda

6. Emily says:

It’s not a memorial site, it’s a pre-memorial site, but I have been really loving CaringBridge.org. It’s perfect for when a loved one is ill – you can post updates on their condition, invite whomever you like, control permissions, and they can share memories, pictures, thoughts, prayers, etc. Really awesome, and totally free. Though you’ll like it so much you’ll want to donate!

7. Jonty says:

Surely http://www.muchloved.com should be included as they are one of the pioneers of online memorialisation and have been around many years.

They have amazing features and designs plus it is a free service as a bereavement charity

8. Scott says:

http://www.BridgesToThePast.com is a newly formed online memorial site that includes a QR coded badge at the site of the memorial. People can access the memorial right in the cemetery by scanning the code with a smart phone. There is even a mapping feature that shows where the grave site is located when accessing the memorials from online.

9. Mark says:

http://www.MemoryChestMemorials.com is an online memorial website dedicated to the preservation of family memories and genealogical information for future generations to enjoy.

Features include:
    – sharing of memories
    – posting of photos or videos
    – slideshow feature with music
    – family tree builder
    – virtual candles

10. A Twigg says:

I came just come across this site as well
    http://www.rememberinpeace.com – it was simple and very easy to use website that gives total ownership and a unique URL for a loved one. Used this for my grandmothers page who died 3 years ago.
    Agree that there are some very good US sites mentioned above but I wanted to use a UK website and didn’t look as commercially minded as some mentioned above with advertisements all over the place.

11. Pingback: I Meet You at the Cemetry Gates - Bleak Theology : Bleak Theology

12. David says:

May he rest in peace, is a new website that is different from other memorial website. First it’s multilingual meaning; the memorials sites it hosts support several languages. For now it’s just English and Spanish. But site owner writes it will support most common languages by the end of 2013 with no extra charge. I also loved its clean layout and design. And the memorial websites looks really like a standalone web site with no commercials or references to other sites. And last since it’s new it’s really offer a very attractive pricing.

13. Terri Burns says:

I have a memory-of.com website and it is CONSTANTLY down. It is loaded with viruses and mal-ware. I am moving my information to another sitre. I would NOT recommend memory-of to anyone. Sorry, I wish I could, I have 500 tributes and thousands of candles and I have to let them just sit there now. It’s so sad, but I’m not the only one this is happening to. Memory-of.com is always getting hacked.

14. Bill Turner says:

These sites are pretty good, they have quite a beautiful structure. While I was looking for different memorial sites I came across with one, which has a nice candle-lighting service as well. I checked this site, called Iaminheaven ( http://bit.ly/Z4L8OL ) and found several pet memorials as well. I lighted a candle to my grandfather, who just passed away last week, and it seems his memorial page will stay there forever, so he will never be forgotten!

15. http://www.inlovingmemoryireland.com is a free online memorial website serving the Irish at home and abroad. It offers private and public memorials, is very tasteful in it’s design and features.

16. http://www.benchmemorials.co.uk – Just thought this website might be useful to your viewers. I have just bought one for my late father.

17. Ovidiu Tudorache says:

There’s a new kid on the block: Light an iCandle!

18. jcaldwell says:

I created a memorial for my brother on memory-of.com in 2005 and haven’t been able to access it since shortly thereafter. I donated to the American Heart Assoc. as a requirement. I cannot edit it or update it in any way. Please do NOT waste your time at this site. They just ignore your requests for help to access it.

19. Kristin Schneider says:

Check out http://www.obitree.com/ it’s new and they are still on beta version but i’ve used them few times now and they are the best experience, plus they are (unless i’m mistaken) the only 100% free site

20. Jack Holly says:

I have recently used this service and it was a wonderful assistance to us at a difficult time.

It is an obituary in its first instance that sent us a funeral notice and invitations to forward to all of our family and friends. We sent it to everyone and it saved all the pain of making phone calls.

Others then found out all of the ceremonial details and were able to advise they were coming. It then sent us regular guest attendance lists telling us who was expected and the funeral and wake.

It literally did all the hard work for us and now we can see how many people around the world have seen it via a clever map showing all visitors.

Thought I would leave this comment as it really did save us distressing phone calls to everyone, saved up buying invites and postage, told us who was coming to the life celebrations and now its there for us interact with anytime. They have free versions but we paid extra (less than the newspaper) for the better version and there is no on going costs as with others we saw.

Very much recommended to anyone at a time of loss.

Hope this helps

Jack Holly

21. Lisa Doll says:

Someone in my bereavement group recommended a website to create an online memorial to my son. I created his memorial/tribute website on memory-of.com the beginning of August and am so upset. I uploaded almost 100 pictures, his friends and family wrote tributes and lit candles, I spent a lot of time and energy getting the page just right and then it is now NON EXISTENT. I tried contacting them only to find out that they are a horrible website and the owner just takes the money and ran-all the way to the Cayman Islands.

I hope THEY ROT IN HELL!!!

22. K says:

This is a new site that was designed when my wife passed away by our son who is a new media manager. Use it free and bless your family and friends. http://Www.kindledmemories.com

23. John Hill says:

Another good one is AnHonoredLife.com.
    Its very new but well done.

24. Carol Williamson says:

I too have not been able to access memory-of.com to go to my deceased partner’s memorial website I created for LIFE and paid accordingly.
    I am so sad if I can not access all the messages, photos and data I put on there anymore !!!!!! It is now November 2013 and David died on 14th of November 2004 so I have missed for the first time ever, leaving candles and messages for the anniversary of his passing and it is so hurtful. I am sure by the sound of things, there are so many other in my position. Does anyone know how we can access our site pages and perhaps at least collect all the data and transfer it to another better more solid site ????? How horrible of the owners if they have indeed just shut it all down and left. Help if anyone can out there in cyberland please.

• SBA says:

Hi Carol, I replied a few days ago but didn’t see it in comments (may be the html tags I added), so one last try to let you know:
      “So sad you lost the site even temporarily, but I hope you found it again as I did at http://david-gregory.memory-of.com/

You should move everything to another memorial site and backup content. I only happened to see your plight as I’m thinking of creating one for my Aunt who passed.”

25. Sunil says:

Sad to hear that you have created memorial of your son and it is not available now. Please visit http://www.alwaysadored.com

This is an absolutely free online memorial website. I hope you will and other viewers will like this.

26. This is a site I created to help people deal with grief and loss after the loss of my husband and mom within 9 months, our goal is to have people join and write about their journey to help others through their grief

27. Jeremy Smith says:

This is a great list! I thought I’d add to this list a new website dedicated to memorializing the lives of the departed.

28. Dave Rich says:

I saw the comments posted on 10/13 about memory-of.com being non-responsive. I attempted to create a memorial for my wife about 1 week ago but have been unable to upload photos. Tow inquiries via email have gone unanswered. I liked this site as I was hoping to create a ‘hard copy’ memorial for our 2 year old son – something that would allow him to look at memories of his mom posted by friends of family. What a shame. Does anyone know of any other website that allows for a book to be created after a period of time after folks post messages, photos, etc?

• Stefani Twyford says:

Dave, I’m so sorry you had this experience. I’m not too familiar with the hard-book options of websites such as this but I am happy to recommend several people that would create a hard-copy book for you outside of an online social network. Just let me know.

29. This is another new site http://www.lovefied.com/ that we created for the african population. Online memorials in Afica, Kenya, South Africa, Sudan, Southern Sudan, Tanzania. http://www.lovefied.com/

30. frank says:

found this very nice looking one seems to be for kenyans http://www.kenyamemorials.com

31. tina says:

Parting wishes for the past 8 years

32. Jason Shiffman says:

I run a memorial website that I built after the death of my younger brother. It transforms your memorial picture into an interactive mural, lets you build a playlist and upload pictures for a slider. There is also a memorial candle lighting page. Everything can be shared on Facebook as well

33. Rod Santiago says:

I just launch a memorial website in honor of my mother’s passing. Others can create a clean and elegant online memorial site for a departed loved one and can be shared using facebook and other popular social media.

The site is called YouMattered.com

34. Sandy says:

I just paid Legacy.com $79.99 to upload my brother’s photos to the Sacramento Bee. They informed me that it would last “forever” and that they could not place his photos in order which took weeks to set up chronologically.

Legacy.com is connected to newspapers with obits, which is a main source of information for them.

Of course, I shall seek a refund.